Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review, Recipe, and Dinner


The review is a place I've been to before and liked, and wanted to share with my beloved and a dear friend.   I think everyone at least knows about the Landmark, in the Tower District, so I'll just get straight to the food...   I had the veal cutlet special,  my honey had the special New York steak smothered in bleu cheese and pepper, and my friend had the regular New York steak.  I'll say one thing about the Landmark..they aren't afraid of butter, or strong seasoning, because everything was rich and very flavorful (at times almost to a fault).  We started off with a relish tray, which you don't see at many restaurant anymore, but is a delightful throwback to another era... this included marinated green beans, black olives, baby corn, carrots, celery, and green onions.  We all had the salad (2 with bleu cheese, 1 with thousand island), which is a pretty standard mixed green salad (no one liked the beets).  My veal cutlet was served with a cream gravy on top, which kind of overloaded me on richness since I ordered the fettucini alfredo for my side.  The bleu cheese and pepper topping for my beloved's steak was tasty, but overpowering in the end and he had to scrape it off.  Both steaks were cooked properly and were very flavorful on their own...  they also both ordered the rice pilaf for sides... it was good..but ubiquitous 'round these parts... The bread that came with dinner was excellent, a sesame seed loaf that had been sliced and toasted with garlick butter.   We were also inspired to order dessert (chocolate cheesecake for honey, creme brulee for me).  He liked his cheesecake, and my brulee, was extremely rich, almost oozing butter (odd for a creme brulee but not offputting)..and the topping could have spent more time under the fire, as it was sticky and stuck to my teeth somewhat annoyingly.   The service was good...but the waiter made huge mistakes on our bill and the automatic addition of gratuity wasn't something we were used to, preferring to make our own decision based on service.  We asked him to refigure his mistakes which he did promptly and without arguing.

Tonite's dinner was much simpler..  It was what I call a "Polish Honeymoon"  or a polish sausage in a blanket of dough (I used refrigerated breadstick dough),  and tater tots with cheese sauce.
Finally, the recipe comes from my honey's craving for brownies..  
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup all purpose flour
 1 cup chocolate chips

Mix wet ingredients til well mixed, then add dry ingredients, pour batter into greased and cocoa'ed 8 X 8 inch pan.    Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.    While warm, dump chocolate chips on top and let melt, then spread over top evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment