Monday, September 19, 2011

Recent Food...

Dinner last nite was kind of a traditional Yankee thing..... fish cakes, baked beans and coleslaw...   it was more of a way to get rid of all the whiting filets in my freezer (thus freeing up valuable space for wedding food).  In the process, I cooked something different, and finally found that perfect coleslaw dressing recipe. (Recipes to follow).   
Breakfast was more unusual (ok..unusual for most people, not necessarily for me).  Was planning on a chicken sandwich with the leftover roast chicken and stuffing...  but I forgot I needed the chicken for the 99 cent Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce I found at Grocery Outlet yesterday (another NEW thing for me and more on that later.)  So, after picking the chicken off the bones and putting it aside for dinner, I ended up eating stuffing, 2 fish cakes, coleslaw and baked beans.   And finishing the whole thing off with the rest of that amazing sea salt caramel gelato.   Hopefully I can work that off this morning by working on the backyard.
Now regarding the tikka masala sauce...   As much as I love Bollywood, clothes from India and music from India, the food and I have never been friends...too many aromatics for my liking, and now that I'm deathly allergic to cashews and pistachios, I have to really be careful anyhow...  but I've always WANTED to like Indian food.  So when I saw this sauce yesterday, and made sure there was nothing deadly in there, hey, for 99 cents, why not?  So we'll see tonite how it works out...adding chicken and peas to the sauce... with rice and naan on the side..

Coleslaw Dressing:
1 cup light mayo
1/2 cup sugar (vary to taste)
1 TBSP cider vinegar
1 TBSP horseradish mustard
1/2 tsp celery salt
Whisk together til well blended

Fish cakes:
Indeterminate amounts of cooked whiting, breadcrumbs, mayo, dill weed, garlic salt lemon zest, lemon juice and horseradish mustard.  Mix in one beaten egg.   Mix until thoroughly combined and form into small patties.  Cook over medium heat in well oiled pan until golden brown on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment