Saturday, September 10, 2011

It's been awhile...

I know the feeling, just when you get interested in a blog you've found... and are waiting patiently (or feverishly) for the next blog...suddenly it just stops...    but I'm back, such as it is, at least to say I've been insanely busy with life and wedding planning, seriously stressed by my psycho ex husband's shenanigans, and just not feeling well...
We haven't eaten out much due to finances so I've nothing new to report on that front..  I've been cooking some rather plebian (albeit tasty) meals..  (pan fried whiting, homemade nachos, spaghetti and meatballs...etc...) but nothing that I felt would really interest my readers...   When I have more  food news (and/or wedding news) to report, then I'll give you a proper post..  Until then, enjoy some opinions on food related matters:

Why do the local food elite promote certain expensive (40 dollars a person) food events and then come back and say how disappointed that they weren't really foodcentric enough...while ignoring smaller, less pricey events? Fresno still isn't a food mecca unless you really get in there with "la raza"..  you're not going to find much hardcore foodiness among the rich white folks in this town (or even those trying to "pass")..  Local economics have shown hungry, well-heeled  Fresnans prefer chains...in nice neighborhoods.. which leaves out the really good stuff you can find say......downtown...  that's where the real culinary talent is...

Item number 2:  Just because a restaurant starts with "local" and "organic" products, doesn't mean they know how to cook them properly....  Those words are used as bait these days to lure in unsuspecting trendies, who will pay extra for restaurants who feature those words on their menus...    You can take a really good product..and screw it up (and half the time those trendies won't even know the diff, especially if the restaurant is in a prime location, or the mayor has eaten there).  One of my favorite dear departed chefs, the late Barbara Tropp, used to complain that older Asian chefs would rather use familiar products of unknown origin, than substitute local, organic products.... yes..and the result would be damned tasty because they KNEW HOW to cook it!  Frankly I don't care if something is "local" or "organic" (a scam in my opinion anyhow),  if whoever cooking it knows how to cook well, I'm fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment