Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lunchtime Quickie Review

No this is NOT a review of a quickie I had at lunchtime... not THAT kind anyhow....pervos....  We went to Maw n Paw bbq today...  on Clovis Ave, a couple blocks north of City Lights....don't act like you've never heard of it and don't know where it is....

Did a quick to-go lunchtime stop in with my honey.   We got the "Big Man" combo with 3 meats and 2 sides.   Chicken, Rib tips, and Brisket.   Sides were Pilaf and Beans.
First off, you've got a good start when you can smell a bbq place before you enter it..means they do things right.   Front room was pretty full at lunch...another good sign.  Service was prompt and pleasant.  Prices are competiive if not better than some similar places.   On to the food.
I'm not usually that big on chicken breast for bbq, but this was the best I've ever had! Meaty, smoky, juicy, tasty...     Rib tips weren't very meaty, bark was dry, but below that was smoky good.   Brisket was sparse, in bits and pieces, and juicy/smoky.  I would have preferred definite slices like they do in Texas.    Have had better pilaf in a pilaf rich town.   Beans were delicious...smoky, not sweet but more like chili beans.   Tried all 3 sauces, wasn't impressed.  And both the hot and smoky had unidentified flavors in them.  Not bad, necessarily, just...driving me crazy trying to figure out what it was...
I think its a good thing that my hands still smell smoky...good bbq should infuse everything with that smell...      I'd definitely recommend a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment