Saturday, October 6, 2012

Impromptu Gluttony (no pics, sue me)

I was STARVING this morning... and I came this close to going to Carl's Jr for their breakfast burger...so glad I didn't...because another muse hit me. Charlotte's Bakeatery (Bakereatery, Bakery..whatever) was on my must try list, based on various reviews etc. Now I've never quite understood the whole cupcake phenomenon, never having had a cupcake worth much in my estimation. I've tried many in town, just to see if I could figure out what the appeal is.. to no avail...these overly frostinged, overly sweet, creations were more pretty than tasty.

Then this morning I had an epiphany after visiting Charlotte's... first off the service (while understaffed) was as sweet as could be.. I wish all counter people could be as sweet and friendly as this girl was. I wanted a variety of things to test their abilities. I ordered the lemon lavender and chocolate chocolate chip cupcakes, a mixed berry tart, and a loaf of garlic wheat bread. and the bread was still warm...

As I mentioned before, I was VERY hungry, so on the way home I bit into the chocolate cupcake...ohhhh THIS is what they're supposed to taste like! Dark chocolate cake with chocolate chips, and dark chocolate frosting applied in a normal manner. Not too sweet, not overly frostinged (is that even a word? it is now!) Oh and get this...vegan AND gluten free! Who knew? Then I bit into the bread...oooooo! garlicky! wheaty! yummy! Couldn't wait to get it home to enjoy with the Irish butter I'd just bought.

Once home the goods were shared round... to much appreciation. The lemon lavender was in one word: AMAZING. Very lemony, not too sweet, with that background note of lavender. The "tart" (more of a semi open turnover) was also perfect...you could taste fruit, not just sugar, and the pastry itself was expertly made. And the bread...with butter...couldn't stop eating it...HAD to make myself stop eating it..

So now here I sit, full, happy, and understanding the cupcake thing. My only warning would be to understand that these goodies are pricey. 14 plus for 2 cupcakes, 1 tart, and the bread. But SO worth every penny! So my advice to you would be to get yourself down to the Tower District (just west of Teazer, across the street from The Revue and Piamonte's), and indulge. You'll be glad you did!

Charlotte's Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment